LazrSPEED® OM5 WideBand Multimode Fiber (WBMMF)
To meet the challenges associated with escalating data rates and the ongoing need to build cost-effective infrastructure that can support bandwidth needs today and in the future, CommScope has developed LazrSPEED® OM5 WideBand Multimode Fiber (WBMMF) cabling solutions, which enhance the ability of short-wavelength division multiplexing (SWDM) technology to provide at least a four-fold increase in usable bandwidth. OM5 maintains compatibility with OM3 and OM4 fibers and supports all legacy multimode applications.
LazrSPEED OM5 WBMMF expands the specified high-bandwidth operating wavelength spectrum from a single wavelength at 850 nm to a range of more than 100 nm that includes 850 nm through 950 nm. This wide specification range enhances SWDM technology’s capability to transmit 40G and 100G over a single pair of fibers and to drastically increase the capacity of parallel-fiber infrastructure, opening the door to four-pair 400GE and terabit applications.
OM5 and OM3/OM4 Comparison
- Total bandwidth is the result of combining modal bandwidth and chromatic bandwidth.
- Two grades of laser-optimized MMF are widely used today:
- OM3 is specified at 850 nm,
- OM4 delivers higher bandwidth than OM3 at 850 nm.
- LazrSPEED OM5 WideBand extends the capability of OM4 across enough spectrum to support at least four low-cost multiplexed wavelengths.
Features and Benefits of SWDM and LazrSPEED OM5 WideBand Solution:
- Retains legacy application support of OM4
- Increases capacity to > 100G per fiber
- Enables single-pair Ethernet at 40G and 100G
- Enables single-pair Fibre Channel at 128G
- Reduces parallel fiber count by factor of 4
- Extends MMF utility as universal medium
- Matches footprint of InstaPATCH 360DM module
- Fits the UD and HD fiber shelves, as well as existing 360G2 and UHD shelves